Automotive Electronic Control Unit Testing Services
Product Testing: Electronic Control Units (ECU), Vehicle Networking & Diagnostics Stacks
Our Software & Hardware Testing teams have in-depth Automotive Domain expertise. For more than a decade, We have been partnering with Automotive OEMs’ and Suppliers from USA, China, Taiwan, South Korea, India, and Europe.
Our Testing Teams have experience in delivering projects for Functional, Unit, Integration and System testing of the following automotive products:
- Instrument Clusters (tell-tales, warnings, gauges, chimes and support for various languages)
- Seating Comfort Systems: Lumbar Massage Support.
- HVAC ECU (heater mats and blowers).
- Head-up display (HUD)
- ADAS components like Cruise Control
- Anti-lock braking system
- Seat & Mirror ECU (Memory Store/Recall, Easy Entry/ Easy Exit, Reverse Mirror Support)
- Electronic Power Steering (EPS)
Support for Unit Testing, Integration Testing and Functional (HIL, MIL, SIL) Testing
- Statement Coverage– We ensure that all code blocks are tested thoroughly. This is a preliminary testing technique that precedes branch coverage.
- Branch Coverage– In-depth view of the code by testing all conditions. Ensures no code branch causes any anomalies
- Decision or Boolean Coverage (MCDC) – We test every possible outcome of a decision and all entry/exit points are checked. Recommended for ASIL-D compliance as per the Functional Safety framework, as defined by ISO 26262 standard.
- Thorough testing of each interface of the sub modules with all other modules.
- The interface code is checked to ensure proper interaction with other interfaces.
- Real-time simulation with HIL Testing (Hardware-in-loop). Testing of the controller in virtual but realistic conditions, for system validation.
- MIL Testing (Model-in-loop)– Expertise in MATLAB/Simulink tools for creation of the testing environment to verify the model
- SIL Testing (Software-in-loop )– Algorithm testing at all stages of product development within the modeling environment.
Automotive Functional Testing: The Process Flow-diagram
- The ECU testing requirements are uploaded to DOORS (a Requirement Management Tool). Any kind of changes, in the testing requirements, can be managed with the help of this tool.
- Each testing artifact is then analyzed to segregate the software requirements against which functional testing is required to be performed.
- Rational, a Quality Manager Tool is then used to define the test cases w.r.t the requirements. Single test case might fulfill multiple requirements.
- The test cases are then executed using various ECU testing tools such as LabView & VT System.
- Post the completion of the functional testing, test reports are generated, and bugs are logged in Rational Quality manager.
- These bugs are then tracked for resolution and shared with the customers for inspection. The steps are repeated till the number of bugs come down to acceptable value.
ECU Testing Services: MISRA C, ISO 26262 Compliance and Automation Frameworks
Embitel offers a wide array of ECU testing services to cater the diverse requirements of the automotive OEMs and suppliers.
Developing test strategies.
ECU Testing practices designed to help you achieve (ISO 26262) Functional Safety Compliance (ASIL B/ASIL C/ASIL D)
Ensuring testability of software requirement with formal techniques
Automated & Manual Test execution and fault tracing
Defect reporting and verification
Static code checks & analysis using tools like Polyspace; MISRA C check performed by PCLint tool
Test suite automation using scripts and Test Automation Frameworks like LabView, CANTATA, RTRT and others.
Validation on vehicle simulators / labcars
CAN/LIN Conformance testing using CANoe tool
J1939 Conformance testing
Implementation and integration of Vehicle Diagnostics Services (OBD2, UDS)
Developing validation and verification plans and scripts for vehicle subsystems
[Demo] Functional Testing of HVAC, Mirror, and Seat Control Unit
Expertise in Automotive ECU Testing Tools:
- DOORS Requirement Management Tool: It is a tool from IBM that helps capture, trace, analyze, and manage the requirements for a customer. It proves to be a useful tool in ECU Testing, especially, functional testing.
- Rational Quality Manager: It is a web-based tool from IBM . It adds value to the ECU Testing process by automating the test planning, test construction and test management activities.
- CANalyzer/CANoe: These are software development and ECU Testing tools from Vector. CANalyzer/CANoe help in analysis and simulation of network communication between various Electronic Control Units (ECU).
- LabView: LabView is a Test Automation Framework from National Instrument. LabView helps to control and customize an ECU Testing system. LabView expedites the ECU Testing process and proves to be an efficient testing framework that also helps reduce time-to-market.
- CANTATA: CANTATA is also a Test Automation framework. CANTATA automates Unit Testing and Integration Testing. It enables the software developers to achieve compliance with different standards such as ISO 26262, MISRA C & more.
- Mx-VDev: Mx-VDEV is a very popularly used ECU Testing tool. Mx-VDEV automates the creation and execution of test cases for Unit Testing and Integration Testing of Electronics Control Units (ECU).
- RTRT: RTRT is a test automation framework, that can perform a number of ECU testing activities such as unit testing, coverage analysis and system testing.
- PolySpace: It is one of the most reliable software testing tools for static analysis of the code. Polyspace tool checks for run-time errors in the source code. PolySpace tool is also instrumental in achieving MISRA C compliance.
- ETAS: ETAS is also a test automation tool, that can perform HIL testing as well. In one of our projects, we have used ETAS tool for HIL testing of Exhaust System Software.
Customer Success Stories: HIL Testing, MIL Testing, SIL Testing & more
- Automated Unit Testing (using Tessy Tool) for a Body Control Module (BCM) Application
- HIL Testing of Engine Control Unit
- MIL and SIL testing of Autonomous Guidance Sys. SIMULINK, Statflow, TruckSim
- Mutation Testing of an Automotive EPS for ISO 26262 (ASIL D) Compliance
Related Blogs: Learn more about Automotive ECU Testing, Test Automation Frameworks and Vehicle Diagnostics Stacks
- Check C framework for Automotive Applications: A Powerful Unit Testing Tool that’s Smart & Flexible.