Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) Update for Electric Vehicles, Infotainment & Solar Trackers
Whether it is an automotive ECU for applications like ADAS, Android Infotainment, Head-up Display or field-deployed Industrial Automation devices, integration of Firmware over the Air (FOTA) update feature has become a mission-critical process.
FOTA/OTA Firmware updates are necessary to ensure secure and robust management of device software, from a remote location.
Leverage our domain expertise in Industrial Automation and Automotive, for custom development of FOTA/OTA hardware and software components.
Features of our FOTA/OTA Update Service for Remote Device Management:
This enables your team to focus on core product development activities
Partner with us for Design and Development of FOTA/OTA Firmware Update Solution
- Flash Memory Selection -NOT, NAND & more, based on your project requirements.
- Integration of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPRS/GSM modules for secure communication between the FOTA server and the target devices.
- Design and development of Firmware Software and integration with IoT protocols such as MQTT, CoAP ; HTTPS & SSL for secure data exchange; FTP/FTPS for file transfer.
- Selection of specific encryption methods to check the sanity of the update package.
- Deciding the level of FOTA update required (At the whole system level, OS& the application level , or at the application level).
- Bootloader development to enable firmware download and reprogramming on the application device.
- Design and development of the FOTA management server interface and other GUIs to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package
- Design and development of the interface (GUI) to build/schedule/deploy/manage the update package.
- Tracking as well as reporting the successful instances of firmware updates.
- Integration of Firmware Rollback mechanism to mitigate any failure or bug detected during the FOTA/OTA update.
- Development of Automated test frameworks to enable devices to perform self-test & send status reports, at the end of an update.
After design and development of the FOTA feature for your connected devices, the hardware and software components are subjected to the following pre-production test-case scenarios:
- Power Failure
- Communication Failure
- Memory Corruption
- Failure to boot the new firmware image
- Flashing of a corrupted firmware image
- Failure to retrieve the information about the configuration & last status of the firmware
We also perform Image self-tests to check if all the firmware functions are working properly.
Meet Our IoT Leaders
[Video] What Makes Firmware-Over-The-Air (FOTA) an Automotive Superhero?
System Design of Remote Device Software Management System (a.k.a FOTA)
- Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) interface: A host server interface for pushing/sending new firmware images to the on-field devices (client).
- Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) server: A secure cloud based OTA server, that stores all the crucial information related to firmware versions and the client devices. The OTA server plays a key role in managing the builds and scheduling/deployment of the relevant firmware images.
- Communication Protocols: The Firmware OTA server communicates using a number of wireless communication protocols.. Some of these communication protocols are ZigBEE, CoAP, Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE), WiFi.
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateway ( optional): In some of the IoT applications an intermittent IoT gateway device is used for flashing firmware OTA updates.
These gateway devices receive the updates from the OTA server gateway.
These IoT Gateway devices can be designed in one of the following configurations:
- Processor and OS based IoT Gateway device
- Microcontroller based Gateway device
- Mobile Devices/Smartphones as an IoT gateway
Customer FAQs Regarding System Security of Over-the-Air-Update (FOTA) Solution, Cloud Back-end, IoT Gateway and more
Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) Installation is a Three Step Process
- New update or the new version of the software/firmware is made available in the cloud server by the device owners.
- The latest firmware update is downloaded and made available to the network of the IoT or automotive devices ( e.g a Telematics unit in the car or a IoT enabled equipment in a manufacturing plant).
- The FOTA server stores all the information related to the devices in the network such as the current status, the existing version of the firmware in use, within a large database.
- The server also manages the process such as sending the firmware to the target application as and when they are published (or based on a schedule); Identifying any bug in the firmware, Reporting any fault or bug in the firmware code.
- The end devices or the application pull the upgrades from the server based on either the subscribe-publish mechanism or a polling mechanism over a secure wireless ( Wi-Fi/ BLE)connection.
- Installing new firmware and updating of software in the end-user application with the help of a bootloader
Customer Success Stories Regarding FOTA Solutions for Electric Vehicles and Android Infotainment System”
Related Blogs: Learn More About Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) Update Process
- Hardware Design Guide for IoT Projects (Part II): Security, FOTA & Regulatory Compliance
- Why Ignoring Firmware Over-The-Air (FOTA) Updates in Automotive ECU can be a Costly Mistake
- Understanding FOTA in the Times of ‘Connected Cars’
Business Benefits of Over-the-air-programming (FOTA)
- Safeguard your applications against any possible security vulnerability
- Efficient and remote management of your critical work product and site equipment.
- OPTIMIZE DATA COSTS and minimize system downtime by updating numerous changes in one go, over-the-air.
- Update your firmware in line with your SCALING business.
- Reduce on-field MAINTENANCE COSTS by updating firmware on device, post-deployment
- With FOTA you can do:
- Feature updates
- Functional updates
Anytime, on Any number of connected systems