IoT Sensor Node Development Services
IoT Sensor Node Development: The Best Practices
The scale and complexity of the IP-based IoT sensor node network depends on the automation use-case. IoT sensors are always associated with a unique design challenge – operating conditions do not facilitate wiring or any external power source.
The following are some best practices to overcome this challenge and ensure successful IoT implementation:
IoT Sensor Development Services
IoT Sensor Node Hardware Design Services
Requirement gathering and system analysis workshops with our IoT Consultants
Architecture design and BOM cost optimization
Schematic and Layout designing
Signal Integrity Testing, Prototyping and Production support
POC development based on off- the-shelf Evaluation boards.
IoT Sensor Node Software Development and Testing Services
Development of IoT sensor node software for custom hardware
Support for different communication protocols – Zigbee, Bluetooth, EnOcean, LoRA, Z-wave, 6lowpan and Wi-Fi
Data storage and handling in case of gateway connectivity issues
Ranging and connectivity testing of IoT sensor nodes with IoT Gateway
IoT Sensor Node Maintenance and Support Services
End-to-end field support, maintenance and OTA upgrade
Support for field testing and deployment
Data collection, analysis, and performance tuning
Bug fixing and support in making the production software more stable
Meet Our IoT Leaders
FAQs Regarding IoT Sensor Node Development
- A power-efficient design enabled by integration of low power-consuming components such as nano-controllers, low power regulators and more.
These hardware components are programmed to ensure low current consumption, when the nodes are in off-state.
- Compact form factor, which is optimized to justify the critical business requirements of performance, power and cost.
- Optimal beacon rate configuration, that is in line with requirements of low energy consumption, high-speed and frequency of data transmission.
- Longer battery life, which is also ensured through energy-efficient design of the sensor nodes.
Ans. Security is an integral part of our solution development process and is addressed at three levels; viz; data, device and the network.
Data Security: The microcontrollers integrated in the IoT sensor node design consist of specific embedded encryption & decryption engines that adhere to the DES (data encryption standard) and AES (advanced encryption standard).
Device security at hardware level: The sensor node hardware is integrated with TPM ( Trusted Platform Module) to protect the sensor node against security threats including hacking or cloning.
Network Security: In order to protect the network against security threats, each and every data exchange between the sensor node and the devices is secured using SSL encryption mechanism.
- Requirement Analysis: In-depth analysis of requirements and design considerations that includes battery design, evaluation and selection of industrial sensors, operating environment, product casing and more.
- Software Design: Software Code optimization for speed of operations and efficiency in data collection
- Hardware design: Hardware design architecture and component selection to ensure longer battery life, and low power consumption.
Ans. Yes. There are two approaches to extend the range of sensor communication:
- Sensor nodes can be integrated with smart antenna technology with higher gain in order to extend the network strength. Whip antenna would serve as an ideal example of antenna with an improved gain.
- Software configuration of RF ( Radio-Frequency) registers to enhance the maximum power/gain levels of the antenna. This is also an ideal method to enhance the range of sensor communication.
We can help you in strengthening the range of sensor communication using either of the two approaches mentioned above. Based on your business use-case, the best suited approach will be executed.
Ans. This question can be answered only after we get a thorough understanding of your industrial IoT system.
We will do a detailed analysis of your existing industrial set up and design a solution that is suitable for your use-case. This will include:
- Design and selection of hardware components,
- Analysis & design of communication interfaces between sensor -device and sensor-IoT gateway that are a best fit for your IoT use case
Ans. We can support the development of intelligent sensor nodes that can process raw data at the node itself.
Having said that, sensor nodes are ideally designed as low-power devices, having functionality limited to aggregation of crucial field data.
Development of sensor nodes with in-built intelligence requires additional processing power, memory and integration of software algorithms that will subsequently add to the development cost as well.
Ans. Development of ultra-low power sensor nodes should address following considerations:
- Focus on power-efficiency throughout the product design thinking – right from architecture design, software development to the sensor node integration with the target application/system.
- Careful selection and management of source of power supply for your sensor nodes.
- The complete design should be robust and power-efficient.
- Software code should be highly optimized for time as well as energy efficiency.
- Should include low-power hardware components including microcontrollers, capacitors, timers – to name a few.
- A careful calculation of sleep and wakeup phases of the Sensor nodes, to determine how well they leverage the battery power. This is a crucial factor in ensuring minimal power consumption.
Ans. Our IoT sensor node solution has a comprehensive design that can be integrated with a wide range of IoT specific communication protocols including MQTT, 6 Lowpan- among others.
Ans. In order to ensure business continuity even when the sensor node loses connection with the IoT network, we have a data back-up strategy in place.
Under this technique, the sensor data will be stored temporarily in local memory. Once the connection with the IoT network is re-established, this stored data will be pushed to the cloud backend.
Note: But adding such a memory module will lead to added development cost and reduction in the overall battery life.
Ans. Our IoT sensor node development team comprises of:
- IoT Architects and developers
- Hardware Engineers
- Network design Engineers
- Embedded Firmware developers
- Embedded engineers with hands-on experience in IoT communication protocols ( MQTT, CoAP, HTTPS)
IoT in Action: Success Stories
Design and development of IoT Home Automation system
System design and architecture:
- Sensor networks – installed to capture data from lights, AC, blinds, AV units, doors, and more.
- Customized IoT gateway device solution.
- Cloud backend – for data analytics
- iOS/Android App and web-dashboard
The system demonstrates:
- IoT based Home automation use-case
- This IoT system comprises of IoT sensor networks [lights, AC, blinds, AV units]
- IoT sensor networks convey a wide range of home device information that is transmitted through protocols like Infrared, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, EnOcean, Zigbee.
- This information is broadcast to the cloud for data analytics and data in actionable format is displayed on smart handheld devices for the end-users.
Tools and Technology:
- ZigBee, EnOcean, Bluetooth and Wifi protocols/technologies
- Design, development and integration of cloud based SaaS
- iOS/Android App and a web dashboard that delivers ‘delight’ to end-users through our intuitive UI/UX
HMI & Mobile App development for Industrial Drive Controller
- The legacy industrial automation web application had following limitations:
- Existing HMI design & industrial automation solution supported limited controls
- Hence operators were also required to use the physical controls.This increased the possibility of shop-floor accidents
- Existing App did not provide effective visual feedback of the actual working environment
- Mobile app solution & HMI Design for Industrial Drive ensured that all motor-related status are visible to the operator in real time,
- This has drastically reduced chances of any unintended faulty handling and accidents
Tools and Technologies:
- Software development Languages :Java, swift, Objective C ,CSS, HTML5 and VC++
- Proprietary protocol developed is based on TCP/IP
- Development Environment: Android studio, xCode, VS 2012 and Phonegap
Related Blog: Learn More about IoT Gateway Development