Model Based Development (MBD) Services for Automotive Applications
Model Based Development (MBD) can result in average costs savings of 25%-30% and time savings of 35%-40% (according to a global study by Altran Technologies, the chair of software and systems engineering and the chair of Information Management of the University of Technology in Munich)
Over the past decade, our Automotive Team has been delivering such cost and time savings with Model-driven approach of product development. Let’s meet over a cup of coffee to discuss our Model Based Development (MBD) success stories with OEMs’ and Tier-I Suppliers across the USA, Europe and India.
MBD Software Code Generation: Compliant with Automotive Industry Standards
MBD Software Services for Automotive Product Development
- System level architecture design & solution services
- Identification of maximum possible issues/queries during H/W & S/W requirement analysis
- Requirement freezing after resolution of these issues
- Architecture Development
- Modules/ Component Development in MATLAB, Simulink, Stateflow as per MAAB guidelines
- Memory Optimization for RAM/ROM according to MAAB guidelines
- ISO 26262 Compliant Models Rapid Prototyping- Virtual Prototyping, External Bypass etc.
Verification & Validation Services
- Model in Loop Testing (MIL)
- Software in Loop Testing (SIL)
- Hardware in Loop Testing (HIL)
- Processor in loop testing (PIL)
- Verification and Validation (V&V) of MATLAB Simulink Models
Auto Code Generation
- Code Generation using Target Link (MATLAB model conversion to Target Link Model)
- Code Generation with Matlab E-coder
- MISRA, AUTOSAR compliant code
- Custom Code Generation with Custom Target Language Compiler and E-coder
- Application & LLD Interface Development
- Integration Testing in real time environment to ensure error free module interactions
- Testing on real-time hardware (bench testing) (HIL)
- Testing on a target processor if real-time hardware is not present (PIL)
Floating to Fixed Point Conversion
- Support for Conversion of Floating point models to Fixed point models as per customer requirements using Mathwork Fixed Point Converter Tool Box.
- Support for Conversion of floating point Matlab code to fixed point code.
- Code generation & testing of floating and fixed point models for the comparison of results, in order to ensure expected accuracy.
Meet Our Automotive Leaders
He has been instrumental in several successful automotive control unit software projects and continues to be at the top of his game.
Sameer V | Project Manager
(Star Developer of the Automotive Team)
With his excellent leadership quality, he always motivates the team members and strive to bring the best out of them. His knack of understanding the core problems make him the customers’ favorite.
Suresh Kumar | Technical Manager
(A people’s Manager)
Our Customer Success Stories
- Model Based Development of Body Control Units
- Model Based Development of Seating Comfort System | US Based Tier-I Supplier
- MATLAB (Simulink) Based UI Development for Low Level Drivers of Model Based Application
FAQ’s Regarding Model Based Development
Our Expertise in MBD Tools and Technologies
- Target Link for MIL Testing and SIL Testing
- E-coder for code generation
- GT-Power, Amesis, Tesis for Environment Model Development
- ASCET, Statemate and SCADE for functional development
- AUTOSAR ERTL (for AUTOSAR compliant code)
- Custom Target Language Compiler (for customized compilation)
- Vector tools for Hardware in Loop (HIL) Testing
Model Based Development Use Cases
Embitel has successfully delivered Model based software development projects for the following automotive ECUs and other components:
- Body Control Module like Seat Control ECUs
- ADAS (Cruise Control, Anti-lock brakes, ESP etc.)
- Instrument Cluster
- Code to Model Conversions
- Floating Point Model to Fixed Point Model Conversion
Embitel’s Model Based Development Methodology
The Model Based Development V-Model Showing Every Stage of Development & Testing
Why choose Model Based Development Over Manual Coding
- Reduced system complexity
- Test suite reusability
- Design reusability to multiple hardware target deployment
- Automatic code generation
- Continuous error identification and correction
- Enhanced efficiency of up to 50%
- Reduced time-to-market and overall cost of development
What is Model Based Development?
Model based development (MBD) is a software development methodology based on V-cycle. The model based approach enables a developer to simulate the models for the complex control processes.
These software models can be tested to assess the performance in real-time. Once finalized, the code can be auto-generated from the models, using code generation tools.
This way, the product can be tested at every stage of its development before the code is generated.
Here is a snapshot of Model Based development process:
- Requirement Maturation: Hardware and Software requirement analysis is performed as the first step to weed out maximum number of design issues.
- Model Simulation: The desired functionalities are expressed in the form of mathematical formula which eventually become models using simulation tools like MathWorks Simulink.
- Testing and Validation: Software-in-loop, model-in-loop and hardware-in-loop testing are performed on the model. As it is an iterative cycle, any issue found at any stage is rectified by tracing it back to its previous stage.
- Code Generation: Code is auto generated from the tested and verified models.
What are the Advantages of Model Based Design and Development?
The advantages are many that have made model-driven approach, a method of choice for automotive software development. MBD renders a great value-add for development of powertrain and chassis control applications, in particular.
A few of MBD’s advantages:
- Continuous testing of the software at every stage ensures that it is free from bugs/ errors and is of the highest quality.
- Time-to-market is reduced considerably as code doesn’t have to be written manually.
- MBD makes it easier to design Complex functions, as it requires less iterations.
- Cost of development is reduced.
- Test suites can be reused for different production programs.