Android And Linux Porting Services For Embedded Systems
Advantages: Porting Android/Embedded Linux for Fleet Management, Telematics, Infotainment Applications
Porting of open-source Linux and Android,(instead of porting a proprietary operating systems) for Connected Car, Telematics, Head-up Display applications, offer several advantages.
Following are some of the advantages:
- Android and Linux OS is GPLv2.0 licensed. This means these are open-source software and hence one ends-up saving licensing cost
- Support and maintenance services for proprietary OS, device drivers and kernels may not be available free of cost.
- Porting Android or Linux operating systems provides flexibility to the project. Your developers can integrate customized and open-source software packages and components.
- Linux or Android porting, more often than not, results in reduced time-to-market. This is due to the availability of open-source software packages that may need minimum customisations
Before kick-starting your Android or Linux porting projects following are some of the best practices your embedded software development partner should take care of:
Android/Linux OS Porting Services: Kernel Programming, Device Driver & BSP Development
- End-to-end support for:
- Bootloader development
- Android/Linux Device driver development
- Android/Linux Kernel development
- Root-file system integrations for successful Android or Linux porting.
- Expertise in customization and optimization of device drivers for bootloader and kernel
- Testing services: Expertise in open-source and proprietary tools for functional testing and sanity testing of each module. Expertise in writing customized test frameworks.
- System Profiling: Performance testing and optimization, memory optimization using static analysis of memory usage (trace-cmd, memInfo, TOP, nice, perf , valgrind, omapconf (TI Specific) and other benchmarking tools). Boot-time optimization for Android and Linux Operating Systems,
- Firmware and Software Update: development and support for Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) and/or Over the Air (OTA) updates for micro-controllers and Android/Linux OS respectively.
- Android porting expertise:
- Support for Android BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Android OS versions
- Support for Android CTS (Compatibility Test Suit) and Application development as per the CTS compliance.
- Customization of wireless Bluetooth Stacks like Bluez / Bluedroid
- Linux porting expertise:
- Support for Linux BSP porting to custom hardware platform and up-gradation to latest Linux OS versions
- Expertise in YOCTO buildroot framework.
- Customization, development and integration with new software stacks like OBD-II
- Expertise in Jenkins, CI and CB.
- Integration of Flash memories Like NAND and NOR
Creating Linux Distribution Image with Yocto Project:
What is YOCTO?
The Yocto Project (YP)
- An open source collaboration project, under the aegis of the Linux Foundation.
- Enables creation of custom Linux distributions for embedded & IoT applications, which are architecture-agnostic
- The Yocto Project works on any embedded architectures(PowerPC, ARM, MIPS, x86, x86-64 etc).
- Provides built-in toolchains, software stacks, board support for multiple architectures, configurations, emulation environment etc.
What are the steps involved in custom development of an embedded Linux Image, using the Yocto Project?
Learn about the workflow for creating a custom build embedded Linux image using the Yocto Project in this PDF.
Meet Our IoT Leaders
IoT in Action: Customer Success Stories
Linux OS Porting for Fleet Management Solution Provider
- Business Challenge:
- Establish and Customize YOCTO Build System for different versions of hardware platform.
- Customizing u-boot, kernel and rootfs.
- Integration Of Open Source Drivers, 3rd party drivers and Vendor Provided device drivers.
- Implementing power management.
- Develop Hardware Abstraction Layer ( HAL)for modules GPS, GSM etc.
- Develop Validation Test Framework.
- Design and develop Firmware Over-The-Air (FOTA).
Porting of Android OS on Toradex SoM for a Smart Electric Scooter
- Business Challenge:
- Setting up the Build Environment
- Porting of Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) onto Toradex SOM which was running Linux 3.14
- Integration of Android with the required hardware and software modules
- User acceptance testing
Video Explaining How to DRIFT your Android OS Porting Projects!
FAQs on Android/Linux Porting Services
Related Blog: Learn more about Android and Linux Porting Services
5 Best Practices for Porting of Android OS to the Embedded Platforms
Why Yocto is a Framework of Choice for Creation of Embedded Linux Distributions
What is Android Things and How It May Help to Disrupt Internet of Things (IoT)?
- [Vlog] How to DRIFT your Android OS Porting Projects!