IoT Cloud Application Development
IoT Cloud and Application Development: The Best Practices
Within the IoT solution architecture, IoT Cloud is the place where all the action happens!
An IoT cloud hosts the following essential components:
- IoT Cloud application, loaded with API and other interfaces, to push and pull the data/commands to & from the IoT sensor nodes or devices
- Databases, Security Patches and other Software/Algorithms to provide necesarry infrastructure
- Analytics Engine – Relational Databases, Machine Learning and AI software algorithms
- IoT Frontend Application: End-user Web Application, Mobile Application and PC Application.
Following are some of the best practices for developing a robust IoT Cloud Application (a.k.a Brain of your IoT Solution)
IoT Cloud Application Development Services
IoT Sensor Nodes & Cloud Interfaces Development
Database Design and Data Management
End-user IoT Application development
Analytics and Reporting
Meet Our IoT Leaders
IoT in Action: Customer Success Stories
Cloud based Android Solution for Healthcare Technology Company
- Business Challenge:
- Help patients to take lifestyle and food related decisions, based on the captured vital data, most suitable for their existing condition
- To track and monitor a variety of body parameters and reach out to healthcare professionals for guidance and sharing of reports
- Medication related logs
- Symptoms-related logs
- Tracking and monitoring of vital body parameters such as blood pressure, heart rate, weight, and other condition specific parameters
- Monitoring of user activity such as number of steps walked, number of flights climbed
- Sleep quality monitoring
- Mood monitoring and analysis
- Nutrition tracking by integration with third party server for data/information
- Android SDK
- IDE : Android Studio
- Third Party Libraries suggested and /or provided by client for Database Support, Background operations
- Third Party Servers integration: FitBit, Jawbone, Withings and Nutrition related data server
- Third Party API integrations: Google-Fit
Tools and Technologies:
IoT Platform Development & SCADA Solution for the Solar Tracking System
- Business Challenge:
- Our client, one of India’s largest Independent Power Producers (IPP) in renewable energy had a mandate to improve the efficiency of their existing solar power open field implementations.
- Our team designed an IoT platform solution for network of solar trackers. These Sun tracking systems communicated through ZigBee and WiFi wireless protocols and serial communication interfaces
- Our hardware design ensured that a network of eight solar trackers can be integrated on a single hardware board
- The designed SCADA solution ensured remote monitoring of the positions and advanced system health conditions of all the solar tracking systems to provide data analytics and reporting. This SCADA solution was developed to co-exist in a remote system that will continuously monitor multiple fields consisting of several masters and their respective slave trackers.
- OrCAD design tools for schema development, HyperLynx– Signal Integrity, Power Integrity, and Thermal Analysis
- Atmel Linux development tool for the master board and Xpresso Eclipse IDE plugin for the tracker boards
- ModBus over RS-485- ModBus Stack in Master mode from Silas
- QT framework for PC-Application and ATS
- Django scripting for SCADA solution development
- For IoT platform communications – MQTT protocol for all data transfers from the trackers to the SCADA. SCADA solution also used MQTT protocol for monitoring each tracker
Tools and Technologies:
FAQs Regarding IoT Cloud Application Development
Q. What is your Business Engagement Model for IoT Cloud Application development projects?
A. After developing an in-depth understanding of the problem statement and project requirements, we partner with our customers based on the following engagement models:
- Fixed Cost Model: The Development & Deployment of IoT cloud application is done based on a pre-agreed fixed cost.
- Time & Material (T&M): The billing for development and deployment of the application is calculated based on the estimated number of man-hours, and infrastructure costs.
- Post-deployment support: We also engage with our customers for 24×7 post-deployment support. This can include the following:
- Support for post-production issues , the change requests (CR), feature enhancement requests, and software/security patch updates.
- 24*7 monitoring and maintenance of the system.
Q. What are the built-in security features of your IoT Cloud Application solution?
A. Our Cloud Application Solution for IoT projects is designed based on a multi-level security approach that includes:
Device Side Security: This is ensured through Root CA (Client Authentication) certificate that helps in verifying the source before any network connection is established between the server and any IoT device.
In addition to this, device IDs’ of each device are matched against an authentication device list, which is maintained by the server to ensure that only trusted devices get access to the data.
Cloud/Server Side Security: This is implemented using the Role Based Server Access management. This helps in streamlining the server data access based on user’s role and corresponding permission levels.
Network Security: Each interaction between the cloud and an IoT device within the network is secured using advanced encryption mechanisms ( SSL, HTTPS).
Q. Does you Cloud Application solution offer support for business analytics and report generation?
A. Yes. Based on your business requirements, we can configure our IoT Cloud Application to store and process data for pattern learning, anomaly detection and more. Our team can help you in integrating advanced business intelligence dashboards and tools like Power BI, and Amazon Quicksight.
Additionally, we also offer support for generating real-time reports in various file formats including PDF, Excel, or CSV.
Q. Does your Cloud Application solution offer scalability to support our future business requirements?
A. Our IoT Cloud Application solution is designed to cater to any future increase in number of connected devices as well as an increase in the data volume.
Usually, this is achieved by creating multiple instances of the database in a distributed environment, that helps in balancing the increase in load.
Additionally, we can also store the data in a non-relational database like NoSQL DBMS. A non-relational database uses a schema-less data management architecture which makes it easy to scale-up based on the business requirement.
Q. What skill sets are required for IoT Cloud Application development?
A. Typically, a team developing IoT cloud application for IoT projects should have the following skillsets:
- Software skills like expertise in Python Scripting
- Cloud Platform development expertise
- Experience in DBMS
- Expertise in IoT communication protocols like MQTT, CoAP, HTTPS
- Expertise in Cloud security management
- Front –end UI/UX Design & Development Skills
- Hands-on experience in Software Testing
Q. What are the tools and technology frameworks required for developing a Cloud App solution?
|Scripting Language||Python, C#.Net|
|Web Framework||Python Based Django framework|
|Web server||Nginx, Microsoft IIS, Apache|
|DBMS||PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MySQL,|
|Security Services/ Encryption||HTTP and/or HTTPS|
Q. What are the benefits of migrating the IoT application from physical enterprise server to a cloud server?
A. The following are some of the business benefits:
- When an IoT Application is hosted on a Cloud Server, your team will have the flexibility to manage the devices and the data from a remote location through a secure authentication process. This helps in enhancing the response time to any issue that needs immediate attention.
- Moving your application to the cloud offers scalability, which is limited when you are using a dedicated server. The pay-per-use business model of a cloud based server also ensures that a ramp-up doesn’t impact the bottom-line of the project.
- You can leverage cloud based tools and APIs that can help to optimize and improve the overall performance and simplify operations.