ISO 26262 Functional Safety consulting
With 11+ years of domain expertise in Automotive and in-depth know-how of Functional Safety implementation practices, we help you to deliver ISO 26262 compliant products for your customers.”
Following is the snapshot of our Functional Safety (FuSa) Service offerings. To learn more about our experience and expertise in helping customers implement ISO 26262 based FuSa framework, download this service offering guide here.
Customer Success Stories: ISO 26262 Functional Safety projects in Automotive:
- Analysis and design of the ECU software architecture
- Mutant code design for different test cases identified at the analysis phase
- Reporting and analysis of mutant test results
- Support for ISO 26262 ASIL-D certification
- End to end support in :
- Safety Documentation Specification,
- Release Documents
- Embitel team took care of the complete software requirements (offshore).
- Engineering and implementation support throughout the project development lifecycle.
- Developed a design based on ASIL-D certified microcontroller – MPC5643L
1.Mutation testing project to ensure ASIL-D Compliance of EPS: Collaborated with a Europe based Automotive Engineering Company to execute Mutation Testing of the automotive ECU for their Electric Power Steering
2.ASIL-D Certification for Electric Power Steering system: We partnered with a German OEM for ISO 26262 ASIL-D certification support for their premium passenger car application.
3.Development of ASIL-A grade Seating Control System: We worked with a leading Tier-1 supplier from France to develop Seating control systems according to ASIL-A rating.
4.Design & Development of ASIL-D rated Electric Power Steering (EPS) system : Our automotive engineers collaborated with a Tier 1 supplier from India , for the design and development of Electric Power Steering (EPS).
Functional Safety Consultants: Team Structure
When you partner with Embitel for Functional Safety project, you can expect to collaborate with an expert team of ISO 26262 Consultants, Project Managers and Automotive Engineers:
Veteran Functional Safety Managers, who ensure safety management and ISO 26262 compliance to the highest level possible.
Senior ISO 26262 consultant with 20+years of experience, to partner with you for critical automotive projects for product development and consulting support .
Senior embedded engineers proficient in developing automotive applications as per the latest industry standards including AUTOSAR, ISO 26262 and MBD.
Download Webinars: Learn more about ISO 26262 standard and Functional Safety in Automotive
- Webinar on How to re-use software modules in compliance with ASIL (ISO 26262 standard)
- Webinar on Software development according to ISO 26262
- Webinar on Introduction to ISO 26262 for Functional Safety Critical Projects
- Making ‘Functional Safety’ a Part of Your Organization DNA
FAQs’:ISO 26262 Consulting, Analysis and Design/Development Services
Q. What can we expect from an ISO 26262 Consulting engagement with Embitel?
A. Under our ISO26262 Consulting services, we partner with your automotive product development teams for the following:
- Understanding the framework of ISO26262 Functional Safety Practices
- Evaluation and identification of critical Checklists , Guidelines, Templates, and Tools ( based on the project requirement)
- End-to end Technical Consulting, in order to develop a well-define functional safety roadmap.
Q. What are the services offered under the ISO 26262 Functional Safety analysis?
A. Post our Functional Safety workshops, we can partner with your design and development teams with in-depth analysis of the system and hardware/software components.
Under this engagement, we collaborate to achieve the following
- Concept phase Safety Analysis( HARA for ASIL Determination)
- System level safety analysis
- Hardware and Software safety Analysis
- Independent Review of the product and the process
P.S: We also partner with our customers directly for “Functional Safety Analysis” , as per their requirement and the current stage of their Functional Safety journey.
Q. What do you offer under design & development of ISO 26262 compliant automotive systems?
A. Our ISO26262 design & development is based on the V-model SDLC (Software Development Lifecycle):
For this engagement, our Functional Safety Project Managers and Embedded Product Developers, will partner with your teams for the following action items:
- Concept Development
- System Requirement Analysis
- Hardware and Software Safety Analysis & Architectural Design
- Design Implementation
- Testing (Unit testing, Integration Testing & Functional Testing)
- System Integration and Testing
- Safety Assessment and Validation
Q. Can Embitel provide onsite support for Functional Safety training and implementation?
A. Yes. Our ISO26262 Functional Safety offering is based on an ‘Onsite-Offshore’ model. Our team can perform requirement gathering and analysis of the project, onsite.
The actual ISO 26262 based implementation service can be done onsite or offshore, based on the scope of the project.
In some instances, sensitive work-products that can’t cross the country borders or the customer premises; are managed onsite.
Q. Does ISO 26262 mandate the organizations to follow any Quality Assurance standards?
A. Yes, ISO 26262 recommends the organizations ( auto-manufacturers and suppliers ) to adhere to Quality Assurance standards such as CMMI, ISO/TS 16949 or ISO 9001.
Q. What are the roles and responsibilities of an organization towards ensuring Functional Safety?
A. As an automotive company, your functional safety responsibility involves:
- Implementation of organization Specific Safety Policies & Rules
- Ensuring Safety Culture
- Management of safety anomalies
- Competence management
- Quality management
- Project-independent tailoring/adaptation of the safety lifecycle
Q. Does Embitel offer any functional safety training programs?
A. Yes, we have various ISO26262 training programs designed to suit your requirement. Based on your business requirements, you can collaborate with us for any of the following trainings schedules:
1-day training: ISO 26262 Overview
2-days training: Covers the specific topics under the ISO 26262 Safety Standard
5-days training: Detailed ISO 26262 Functional Safety Training
These training programs can be conducted either through online or onsite mode.
Q. We have an existing product line that is under development/ready for production. How can we ensure ISO 26262 compliance in such a situation?
A. For existing product lines, we will perform Gap analysis at various levels including the process, the management, and the technical level.
Gap Analysis will help you understand safety gaps in your product line while identifying measures to close the gap towards functional safety compliance.
The entire process involves:
- Addressing each gap and mitigating them as per the ISO 26262 recommendations
- Generating Compliance report
Q. Can Embitel support us for ASIC level safety compliance project?
A. Yes, Embitel’ s Functional Safety (FuSa) team can assist you by performing ISO26262 recommended analysis of any SEooC product (Safety Element out of context) to ensure safety compliance.
Q. Is ISO 26262 compliance similar to any standard Quality Assurance certification?
A. Not exactly. The ISO 26262 is recommending quality process to ensure functional safety. At the same time, the standard is providing technical guidelines to meet required safety integrity goals/ levels at the hardware and software level.
What is Functional Safety in Automotive? What is the role of ISO26262 Standard?
- A number of components of a car are safety critical; like, Electronic Steering System, Anti-lock Braking System, Air-bags, electronic stability control, and more.
By safety critical, we mean that the failure of these components can risk the driver or the passengers’ life.
ISO26262 is a standard that defines a framework to implement safety practices during the design, development, and the testing of all the critical electrical and electronic components of a road vehicle. This standard has been derived from IEC61508.
ISO26262 standard comprises of a set of steps that regulate the product lifecycle at the software and the hardware level. ISO26262 provides an extensive set of recommendation for automotive product development, right from the conceptualization to the decommissioning stage.
What is ASIL in Automotive Functional Safety?
ASIL (Automotive Safety Integrity Level) is the notation for software or hardware component that signifies its safety-criticality.
ASIL has four categories- A, B, C, and D. ASIL A indicates least critical level and D indicates the most critical level. There are three factors that determine the ASIL of a software or hardware- probability of exposure, controllability by the driver, and the severity of the outcome if a fault occurs.
Considering the example of an Air-Bag, the analysis will look into how likely it is for the air bag to get activated, what will be the effect on car and how can the driver control it. Considering all these factors, ASIL will be determined, which will most likely be ASIL-D for Air- Bags.
ASIL is determined at the beginning of the automotive software development. However, it can be done post the development also, but is not recommended. Based on the ASIL rating, safety processes and testing regulations are followed- strictest for D and flexible for A.