In-Vehicle Infotainment System Development
Android is one of the most popular operating systems for smartphones across the world. Android Infotainment System in vehicles present a compelling opportunity for automotive OEMs - An opportunity to utilize the power of Android and the consumer’s familiarity with it to offer enhanced driving experiences.
Our proficiency in crafting cutting-edge Android-based In-Vehicle Infotainment System for two-wheelers and four-wheelers arises from experience that spans over 8 years..
Customer Success Stories
Android 9 Porting for IVI System of Electric SUVs
Our customer, a US-based EV manufacturing company, was looking for a product engineering services partner to develop a futuristic Android 9 based infotainment system. Our experience of more than 14 years in automotive firmware development encouraged them to partner with us for this project.Embitel Solution:
The infotainment system we developed for the customer’s electric SUV included features like navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, HVAC, passenger seat temperature control and much more!Embitel Impact:
The software was first deployed on a reference platform while the production hardware was being built. The software was then integrated with the production hardware and tested thoroughly.
This strategy enabled the project to move forward at an accelerated pace and reduced time to market considerably!
Automotive Infotainment Solution for Commercial Vehicles
Our customer, an automotive Tier-1 Supplier, wanted to develop a cutting-edge Android Infotainment System for their commercial vehicles with quick time to market.Embitel Solution:
- Our IVI system development team designed an automotive infotainment solution powered by Android operating system. It was based on Freescale/NXP i.MX 6 platform.
- The designed In-Vehicle Infotainment system ( IVI system ) is now under production for deployment in commercial vehicles.
- We integrated our ready-to-deploy J1939 stack to bring down the development time and cost by a significant amount.
- PGN configuration was done only at the application layer; this provided an added time advantage.
- Our cross-functional teams delivered a quality product within an expedited timeframe.
Production-Grade Android Infotainment System for an Electric Scooter Start-Up
Our customer is an Electric Scooter start-up based in Europe. They required an infotainment system and automotive HUD for their new product line.
- The SOM chosen by the customer supported only Linux. They required Android OS to be ported to the hardware.
- FOTA update feature was a requirement as well.
- Time to market was limited.
- Our Android Infotainment System development team helped in the design of a solution with Audio and phone apps, navigation engine, and custom UI.
- The team also integrated connectivity modules such as Bluetooth, GSM, BLE, WiFi, etc.
- Our ready-to-deploy software components helped to develop the infotainment system at an expedited rate.
- The scalable cloud-based FOTA system we have crafted in-house also brought down the development effort.
Firmware Over the Air Integration – Services We Offer
- As your infotainment solution partner, we provide end-to-end support throughout your product development roadmap – Product strategy, product architecture, technology selection, UI/UX design, infotainment software and hardware development, product validation and engineering support.
- We have thorough knowledge of all types of connectivity in an IoT based automotive ecosystem – vehicle connectivity, cloud connectivity, et al.
- We have long-standing partnerships with customers in India and abroad.
- Some of our latest projects include the design and development of Android based IVI system for Electric two-wheelers and four-wheelers that are redefining the status quo in the industry.
- We help you identify the right hardware platform based on project requirements. We have experience using the following reference platforms, apart from custom platforms:
- NXP i.MX6 Sabresd platform
- NXP i.MX8QM MEK platform
- Toradex i.MX6 Apalis/iXora platform
- Our solutions are agnostic to the underlying semicon chipset.
- We have successfully validated BT/WiFi, GPS/GSM, LCD/HDMI, etc. on Android Pie.
- Our library of pre-tested vehicle communication and vehicle diagnostics stacks can be readily integrated to reduce development time and cost – J1939 stack and Boot Loader, OBD 2 stack, UDS, KWP 2000, ISOBUS and more.
- Advantages of partnering with us also include the availability of several reusable components for the infotainment system being developed – Vehicle data, radio, camera, power management, etc. This reduces time to market considerably.
Our experience in bringing Android based IVI system to life also includes the execution of test suites such as CTS, VTS, etc. to obtain the necessary certifications for the system.
Android Infotainment System Development – Our Journey
In-Vehicle Infotainment System Development – Our Services
Product Development Roadmap
Requirement analysis & Technology consulting
HMI/UI /UX Strategy
Mock screen design & conduct usability tests
Framework for secure installations of apps
Hardware | Software | 3rd party integration | Testing
Maintenance & Support
Pre- and post-production support
Android Infotainment System Design: What are the Software Features?
Latest version of Android for best performance
Development & Integration
Navigation, Power management, Boot time optimization
Contacts sync and call management
Communication & Diagnostics Stacks
OBD-II, J1939, UDS, KWP 2000
Voice commands and V2X integration
4-way Camera App
Cameras – Reverse, forward & blind spot view
Infotainment Platform for Automotive Applications: What are the Hardware Features?
- NXP i.MX6 Sabresd
- NXP i.MX8QM MEK
- Toradex i.MX6 Apalis/iXora
- Custom platforms
Custom Development and Porting
Board Support Package (BSP)
Custom Development and Porting
Device drivers development
Display, Touch, ADC, Power Supply, Camera, BT, WiFi, GPS, Audio, CAN
Handbook: Software and Hardware Services for Product Development of Android Infotainment
Let’s Partner for Custom-Designed, Production-Grade, Android Based Infotainment System with Touch & Gesture Controls
FAQs – Automotive Infotainment Development Services
Ans. Our Automotive Team undertook an intensive research and analysis of the capabilities offered by Android OS for automotive infotainment application.
We also analyzed the features of Android OS w.r.t the customer requirements and their pain-points Android emerged as an ideal Operating System for an In-vehicle Infotainment solution. Following are some of the compelling reasons for the same:
- Android software stack comes integrated with necessary connectivity modules like Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and more and low-level device drivers and software layers.
- The UI can be easily custom-designed, with the help of platforms like QT.
- As an infotainment developer, one can focus on the customization and development of the Application Layer, without worrying about the underlying software layers
- Third party libraries are not required to be integrated, as Android brings the complete software package on the table.
- As part of the future growth strategy, Automotive Industry is a core focus area for Google. This will ensure that Google continues to provide robust support for the automotive applications and release more feature-rich versions of Android Automotive.
- Being an open source platform, the source code is available and it is easy to personalize the OS as per the specific needs of the customer.
- App deployment ecosystem of Android offers a lot of advantages that reduce time-to-market for In-Vehicle Infotainment products
Ans. We have integrated Navit, Sygic navigation and Co-pilot Maps with our In-Vehicle Infotainment reference design. Sygic and Copilot Maps are easy to integrate and require no additional certification.